Sunday, March 23, 2014

Once Upon a Nightmare

Hello Everyone,

Welcome back to the blog. I have enjoyed my time off from writing very much because there hasn't been anything new to report. Unfortunately that status has disappeared and once again we find ourselves in a waking nightmare. 

On Monday the 17th my dad received yet another bone marrow and on Wednesday the 19th the results came back. The number of blast cells (cancerous cells) had increased from less than 5% to around 15-20%. The treatment plan now is going to start next Monday on the 24th. He will be admitted to Methodist Hospital (the Mayo) in Rochester for two weeks. He will once again get chemotherapy for one week and the second week his counts will plummet so he will need to be watched very closely. This treatment is more intense then the rounds he received in October, November, and December. At 14 days a bone marrow biopsy will check if blasts are less than 5%. If the results come back clear he will get more fresh cells from his brother John. If it isn't clear additional treatment will be needed. 

Another unfortunate problem for my family is that my mom won't be able to stay with my dad the entire time. Our insurance doesn't pay for lodging and she still needs to work. I have to be at school but I will be able to visit on Friday. I know my dad would like, and in fact NEEDS company. If you can, please come down for a visit. When he was in Methodist Hospital in 2012 the visitors that came helped him stay positive and hopeful. 

As a family we have had a really good few months and everything that we have been able to do has been so special. My dad and I painted the basement, we have been able to go see movies, both of my parents have been able to support my sister and I, and the best part is that we all felt so happy. I know my dad is happy when he can tell a joke and dance around the house. It truthfully is the best thing ever. I have to hope that things will work out but for now our hearts are breaking. I infinitely thank you for your support, and your prayers, and all of your hopeful thoughts. I will post again next week either on Tuesday or Wednesday and I will update regularly. 

Laura Katchmark



Keep fighting Dad. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment